About the job
Most of the role will focus on our work as the long-term monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) partner for the Ethiopian branch of an international philanthropic organisation, whose portfolio of work is focused on job creation for young men and women, primarily in the agriculture and MSME sectors.
The client organisation has a keen interest in using innovative and indigenous MEL methods to understand its impact, particularly around system change, and developing the MEL capacities of a group of Ethiopia young professionals. Reporting to the Monitoring and Evaluation Lead, you will be responsible for contributing to broader thematic reviews, learning papers and evaluations within the programme, as well as taking part in developing and applying innovative evaluation methods.
In addition to this exciting client-facing delivery role you will also be a valuable team member of the growing Triple Line team in Ethiopia. As a member of the private sector development (PSD) team, we are looking for someone who is passionate about supporting the role of the private sector and markets in creating jobs, increasing incomes, and providing critical goods and services to poor and disadvantaged people in the developing world.
You will join a team of committed international development specialists delivering consultancy services and proposals for a diverse range of projects and clients. For more information on our work in the region please see our website.
Roles and responsibilities and the specific tasks you will undertake:
Project delivery and technical input (75%)
The candidate’s primary responsibility for at least the first 12 months will be serving as the Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager on the recently initiated monitoring and evaluation project based in Addis Ababa, moving onto other projects within the Private Sector Development field in future.
In this position we would expect the following tasks and activities:
- Support upcoming strategic reviews and evaluations in instrument design, data collection, analysis, and reporting
- Work at programme/fund level and one-to-one with programme partners to develop results measurement systems, review results report and provide feedback (including technical advice on how to improve reporting), verification of data, and collating and reporting results at an aggregate level; reflecting gender equality and social inclusion considerations throughout.
- Support in the preparation, design and facilitation of client and grantee workshops, capacity building and learning events. This would include theory of change workshops, facilitating insight generation and sharing, and other stakeholder engagement;
- Participating in thematic reviews and learning papers by providing insights from the portfolio, undertaking desktop research, and managing primary data collection (including surveys, focus groups and site visits);
- Support the dissemination and uptake of findings through clearly written reports, case studies and presentations to clients and other stakeholders;
- Work as a coach and mentor with young Ethiopian to develop their skills and knowledge in the MEL field;
- Involvement in a range of large evaluation, learning and research consultancies in the private sector development field, including methodology development, theory of change and results framework design, data gathering tool design and testing, collection of quantitative and qualitative data, and data synthesis and analysis;
- Support the effective management of projects to ensure that they are delivered by the team on time, to budget and to required quality standard; and
- Maintain effective and professional working relationships
Business Development and knowledge management (20%)
- Support business development by preparing capability statements, references, and drafting inputs for expressions of interest and technical and financial proposals, working closely with colleagues across the Triple Line group.
- Proactively develop client relationships and look for opportunities for follow on work with existing clients.
- Contribute to increasing the visibility of Triple Line through attending conferences, networking, producing lesson learning materials and/or publications, and supporting Triple Line hosted events, etc. to promote the high quality of our services and expertise, develop reputation and attract new clients.
Line management and staff development (5%)
- Line manage junior colleagues and support them in their professional development.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about supporting the role of the private sector and markets in creating jobs, increasing incomes, and providing critical goods and services to poor and disadvantaged people in Ethiopia and the wider East Africa region. You are thoughtful, excel at problem solving and have the confidence to contribute innovative ideas and challenge those around you, while remaining a committed team player. You will have worked in the development or humanitarian sector in Ethiopia, ideally on projects delivered by or focusing on private sector.
You have experience in monitoring, evaluation, and learning (particularly in measuring results at the outcome and impact level), and in at least 1 of the following thematic areas: market systems development, value chain analysis, MSME development, access to finance and financial inclusion, or agriculture. You will have a good understanding of the Ethiopian political economy and operational context.
Please note that this is an early career position. We are looking for candidates with roughly 3 - 5 years relevant work experience.
Essential candidate attributes:
- Right to live and work in Ethiopia
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant academic disciplines, including Economics, Political Science, International Relations, International Development, Business, M&E, Statistics or equivalent, with an excellent academic record
- 3-5 years’ experience in a technical, hands-on MEL and research role within the development or humanitarian sector in Ethiopia
- Knowledge of standard MEL tools (e.g.: theory of change, results chains, indicator design) and practices (e.g. consideration of gender equality and social inclusion), and demonstrated experience in conducting evaluations
- Experience in designing data collection tools (questionnaires, focus group discussion guides etc), and collating and analysing the data collected
- Excellent standard of written and spoken English, with demonstrated experience in producing high quality technical reports
- A high degree of initiative and attention to detail, with the ability to plan, prioritise and manage workload effectively and independently
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and comfortability with innovating and trying out new approaches and methods
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite (e.g. MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Excel)
Desirable candidate attributes:
- Postgraduate degree in relevant academic disciplines, including Economics, Political Science, International Relations, International Development, Business, M&E, Statistics or equivalent, with an excellent academic record
- 2+ years of MEL experience specifically related to private sector development i.e. employment creation, MSME development and/or agriculture
- Experience of working with, or for, an international consultancy firm, and experience working in the east African region
- Experience in learning and insight generation as part of a MEL framework, and in collating data across projects to understand impact and learning more broadly
- Experience in using qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis tools (eg. Stata, advanced proficiency in Excel, Atlas.bi, Tableau etc)
- Demonstrable experience of facilitating workshops and/or giving presentations
- Experience contributing to bid development
For over 20 years, Triple Line has worked with governments, financial institutions, the private sector, foundations and civil society to deliver an expanding portfolio of development assistance in countries across Africa, Asia and the rest of the world.
Climate change, loss of biodiversity, growing povert, entranched inequality, unemployment, access to decent work and shifting demographics – these are just some of the complex problems standing in the way of the global sustainable development goals. We are helping to address many of them at both a policy level and on the ground. By combining innovative thinking with practical solutions, we aim to help meet today's challenges and prepare for tomorrow's opportunities.
Our ultimate goal is to create opportunities for people, protect the environment and generate prosperity in responsible ways that create lasting value, unleash innovation and build inclusion and equity.
We work across two teams (Inclusive Growth and Resilience and Evaluation, Policy Analysis and Learning) to deliver 7 services to our clients:
- Cities and Infrastructure
- Private Sector Development
- Trade and Industrialisation
- Environment, Forests and Climate Change
- Gender and Inclusion
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Fund Management
By applying for this position, you are confirming that you allow Triple Line to retain your CV and personal details on record, unless you explicitly ask for them to be removed. In turn, we acknowledge that the team will not use your details for any purpose beyond the recruitment of this position and will not share your CV with any third party without your permission.
Interested candidates should submit an up-to-date CV and covering letter to email@example.com. The title of the position must be clearly included in the subject line; if it is not then your application may not be reviewed. The cover letter (max 2 pages) should include an explanation of how your experience and qualifications qualify you for this position, reference to availability, salary expectations, and any additional information related to your application that you would like us to consider.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The recruitment process will include two rounds of interviews, a practical written assessment or case study, and two reference checks.
Triple Line is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We have a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination within our recruitment process and actively encourage applications from a range of backgrounds.