About the job
The initial focus of this position is to lead on coordinating the significant team expansion required in the Ethiopia office. Following some exciting new project wins the team in our Addis office needs to expand, at pace. We are looking for someone who loves managing the whole life cycle of people management including recruitment, onboarding, and professional development, and who can really drive this process for us. This will involve drafting job descriptions, reviewing applications, coordinating a rigorous recruitment process, and leading the onboarding process. However this role is not just about turning the wheel and managing HR processes, it’s also about supporting Triple Line to build the right culture, to embed the Triple Line ethos and values, and to ensure all Triple Line team members feel supported, empowered, and able to grow. The final part of this role is as part of the delivery team on a new project in Addis Ababa where we need to develop a curriculum and deliver training to a cohort of young professionals.
Roles and responsibilities
Specific tasks you are expected to undertake include:
Team growth (35%)
- Lead on a major recruitment drive in the Ethiopia and Kenya offices. This includes advertising, shortlisting, developing an evaluation standard, interviewing and selection activities, contracting, and onboarding processes.
- Communicating effectively to colleagues and the Directors throughout the recruitment process.
Corporate HR processes, legal compliance (50%)
- Ensure compliance to all current Triple Line HR processes and identifying areas for improvements.
- Lead on coordinating the onboarding of new starters, including ensuring they have the right equipment, office space, access to all Triple Line tools, set up on Triple Line systems, and ensure that all other onboarding processes and trainings are completed, drawing on other team members as needed, overseeing exit interviews and procedures are followed.
- Lead on maintaining all Ethiopia personnel records including duty of care-related personnel travel forms, probation reviews, promotion letters, personnel data on Illuminis (Triple Line’s resource management and planning tool).
- Lead on the maintenance of all personnel related insurances, benefits, and claims. Be on hand to answer queries and support the team in understanding their cover.
- Lead on ensuring contract management, including drafting contracts and job descriptions, and closing contracts upon project close.
- Lead on ensuring contracts, project documents, personnel records are uploaded on SharePoint system. Support in ensuring team members are completing timesheets weekly and updating our resource management tool with annual leave plans.
- Suggest improvements adn changes in HR policies, procedures and standards, in line with the East African market, local laws and needs of the company.
- Attending CBS meetings with other managers.
Personal development and training (15%)
- Work with CBS colleagues to develop and roll out internal training sessions on Triple Line policy and process training and support the team to creatively think about how to deliver these more effectively.
- Work with technical team members and existing communities of practice to support internal learning and development.
- Explore the options for an internal coaching and mentoring scheme, present to the management teams, and lead on the delivery.
We are looking for a HR professional who is passionate about working with people, who understands what it takes to create a great work environment, and someone who can bring out the best in people. We are looking for a HR manager who understands the specific challenges of working for small but growing companies operating in East Africa.
Essential candidate attributes:
- 5 – 8 years post-qualification experience in business administration, human resources, training, learning and development Experience in leading corporate HR processes.
- Organised, pro-active and confident, with the ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Self-starter with a can-do attitude who can plan, prioritise, and manage their own workload effectively with limited supervision.
- Must enjoy – and be effective at - working as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent standard of written and spoken English.
- Able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to effectively manage and communicate with senior members of staff, including Directors.
- Strong command of IT systems including knowledge of Microsoft Office, and the confidence to learn new systems.
- Eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Desirable candidate attributes:
- Experience of working within a consultancy environment.
- Experience, or interest in international development.
- Relevant qualification in HR, administration, management, or business.
- Working knowledge of SharePoint.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring.
- Experience in designing and delivering curriculum and training.
For over 20 years, Triple Line has worked with governments, financial institutions, the private sector, foundations and civil society to deliver an expanding portfolio of development assistance in countries across Africa, Asia and the rest of the world.
Climate change, loss of biodiversity, growing povert, entranched inequality, unemployment, access to decent work and shifting demographics – these are just some of the complex problems standing in the way of the global sustainable development goals. We are helping to address many of them at both a policy level and on the ground. By combining innovative thinking with practical solutions, we aim to help meet today's challenges and prepare for tomorrow's opportunities.
Our ultimate goal is to create opportunities for people, protect the environment and generate prosperity in responsible ways that create lasting value, unleash innovation and build inclusion and equity.
We work across two teams (Inclusive Growth and Resilience and Evaluation, Policy Analysis and Learning) to deliver 7 services to our clients:
- Cities and Infrastructure
- Private Sector Development
- Trade and Industrialisation
- Environment, Forests and Climate Change
- Gender and Inclusion
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Fund Management
By applying for this position, you are confirming that you allow Triple Line to retain your CV and personal details on record, unless you explicitly ask for them to be removed. In turn, we acknowledge that the team will not use your details for any purpose beyond the recruitment of this position and will not share your CV with any third party without your permission.
Interested candidates should submit an up-to-date CV and cover letter to 3L@tripleline.com referencing the title of the position in the subject line. The cover letter should include an explanation of how your experience and qualifications qualify you for this position, and include reference to availability, salary expectations, and any other pertinent information that we should consider as part of your application. This cover letter can be delivered in any format you feel expresses your interest and relevance for the position, we are happy to accept Word, PowerPoint, or video formats.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; please send in your application as soon as possible. The recruitment process will include two rounds of interviews, a practical written assessment or case study, and two reference checks.
Triple Line is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We have a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination within our recruitment process and actively encourage applications from a range of backgrounds.