About the job
Your role is to support the business development efforts of the whole team with commercial acumen, good networking skills and an ability to establish and operate effective management processes for the business development cycle. You will work closely with colleagues across the team, who bring technical, subject matter expertise to business development, in a collaborative process. Responsibilities will include identifying and pre-positioning for opportunities, building consortia, managing bids, developing budgets and writing financial proposals. Managing procurement frameworks is a key responsibility: Triple Line is on a number of frameworks through which clients (e.g. FCDO and Sida) procure services, and is sole supplier of FCDO’s Expert Advisory Call Down Services Lot 1 (Women and Girls). You will line manage a business analyst (currently being recruited).
This is a hybrid role that allows for both in-person and remote work. The successful candidate will be required to work two days a week at our London office and the remainder of the work week can be done remotely from home. Some international travel is expected.
Roles and responsibilities and the specific tasks you will undertake:
General Business Development (15%)
Support the continuous improvement of Triple Line’s business development systems and processes (e.g. through data analysis, process review) and their use and application by Triple Line staff (e.g. through refreshing the BD manual, running training, convening learning workshops).
Line manage the business analyst responsible for:
o Identifying, assessing and recommending opportunities, aligned to Triple Line’s core areas of focus, including conducting a twice weekly web trawl of key client procurement platforms.
o Ensuring project references for use in BD and corporate marketing materials are kept up to date, working closely with technical teams.
Framework Management (30%)
Establish and operate framework management processes and supporting tools including management information systems; track resource inputs and cost recovery through framework implementation.
Manage consortium relationships and communications and their inputs to teaming decisions and proposals; lead on commercial aspects of (e.g. proposal budget development); working closely with and supporting the framework technical lead.
Track delivery of work awarded through the framework to ensure timescales and adhered to and enable management reporting to client.
Manage client relationships, communications and reporting, acting as client point person as Framework Manager.
Specific Tenders (30%)
- Support company-wide prepositioning, capture management and proposal development, including competitor mapping, consortium selection and engagement (including pre-bid and bid-related agreements such as teaming agreements, joint ventures, non-disclosure agreements etc.), teaming, collation and tailoring of project references, preparation of budgets and financial proposal templates, and collation of compliance documentation.
- Contribute written sections in technical and Prepare financial proposals – narrative and budgets with payment plan.
- Identify and recruit team members with suitable skills and availability for individual tenders, including the definition of roles, preparing terms of reference, defining level of effort, agreeing fee rates and concluding all necessary pre-bid and bid-related agreements (e.g. MoU, NDA, pre-bid agreement, statement of availability).
- Act as bid manager for some prospects, co-ordinating all inputs from technical teams.
- Compile and submit required corporate information in support of proposals e.g. Pre-qualification questionnaires / SQs.
Project Management (25%)
- Act as Project Manager for a limited number of active projects, based on relevant technical expertise and availability, responsibilities including team contracting, maintaining project records, ensuring delivery to budget and prompt client invoicing.
We are looking for someone that loves the organisation, processes, and systems behind the winning, contracting, and delivery of big projects. The successful candidate will be a strong communicator, able to work across the company and with a range of different partners. We're ideally looking for someone with experiece of working with UK Government procuremnet and contracting systems, an interest - if not experience in - international development will be preferable.
Essential candidate attributes:
- Commercial acumen and track record of undertaking business development work including pre-positioning and proposal development
- Experience of developing commercially feasible and competitive budgets for delivering consultancy or similar services
- Evidence of strong management skills for operating end to end processes to deliver services to clients and including collecting and analysing management information
- Ability to manage multiple on-going activities and competing deadlines with attention to detail, so that proposals and assignments are delivered to the client on time and to quality
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team and to communicate clearly and effectively, both in writing and verbally
- Minimum seven years of relevant experience
- Experience of working with and knowledge of HM Government or other institutional donors
- Right to live and work in the UK (not tied to a student visa)
- Excellent written and spoken English
Desirable candidate attributes:
- Experience of managing or working with procurement frameworks
- Networks and contacts with consultants, suppliers and clients in the international development sector
- Experience of working in the international development sector, especially with FCDO and other Government departments spending overseas development assistance
For over 20 years, Triple Line has worked with governments, financial institutions, the private sector, foundations and civil society to deliver an expanding portfolio of development assistance in countries across Africa, Asia and the rest of the world.
Climate change, loss of biodiversity, growing povert, entranched inequality, unemployment, access to decent work and shifting demographics – these are just some of the complex problems standing in the way of the global sustainable development goals. We are helping to address many of them at both a policy level and on the ground. By combining innovative thinking with practical solutions, we aim to help meet today's challenges and prepare for tomorrow's opportunities.
Our ultimate goal is to create opportunities for people, protect the environment and generate prosperity in responsible ways that create lasting value, unleash innovation and build inclusion and equity.
We work across two teams (Inclusive Growth and Resilience and Evaluation, Policy Analysis and Learning) to deliver 7 services to our clients:
- Cities and Infrastructure
- Private Sector Development
- Trade and Industrialisation
- Environment, Forests and Climate Change
- Gender and Inclusion
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Fund Management
By applying for this position, you are confirming that you allow Triple Line to retain your CV and personal details on record, unless you explicitly ask for them to be removed. In turn, we acknowledge that the team will not use your details for any purpose beyond the recruitment of this position and will not share your CV with any third party without your permission.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter which clearly outlines your suitability for the role to 3L@tripleline.com with the title heading ‘Business Development Manager’. The recruitment process involves two rounds of interviews, each with two Triple Line managers, and completion of a written exercise. Appointment is subject to references.
Please include any information you would like to share with Triple Line about additional support you may need during the interview and recruitment process. Triple Line is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We have a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination within our recruitment process and actively encourage applications from a range of backgrounds.